| MS-Access |
- 1991: Developed a timesheet/project/task system for the Senior
Analyst of the Science and Productivity division of the
Institute of Ocean Sciences. The project involved defining
custom forms, reports with graphics, extensive use of MS-
Access-Basic modules, event procedures, separate table and
application object database files.
2000-present: Maintain the Ministry of Transportation's Landmark
Kilometre Inventory in an MS-Access database. This involves
reports, SQL queries, VBA modules for data checking and export,
separate code and linked table databases.
2008-present: Maintain a booking and management system for a
high-end wilderness resort company. The system includes automatic
generation of MS-Word, PDF and HTML documents for delivery to
clients, agents and web site.
| VB-ADO |
- 2001-present: Wrote and maintain a multi-user data entry program
in Visual Basic 6, using the ADO interface to MS-Access and Oracle databases.
| Oracle || |
- 1991: Implemented the Data Archive DataBase at the Institute of Ocean
Sciences, using FORMS, SQL, SQL-Plus, PRO*FORTRAN programs.
- 2001-present: worked on a large Fisheries and Oceans Canada
Oracle database, using SQL-Plus, SQL-Devleoper, Visual Basic 6 / ADO;
performing data error analysis, data corrections, table modifications
and VB6 application enhancements. (Details)
- 2007-2008: Designed and implemented an Oracle Salmon Catch Summary Database
for the Pacific Biological Station, and loaded it with data from a
Fortran/VMS system, and from two other Oracle-based catch databases.
- 2008-present: use SQL*PLUS and SQL Developer to analyse and trouble-shoot
data in the 100+ table BC MoT Collision Information System.
| MySQL|| |
- 2004: Installed the WAMP5 (Windows Apache MySQL PHP5) package on a
Windows XP workstation, and experimented with table creation,
data loading, SQL queries & display using PHP - as part of a
feasibility study for a client's
- 2010: Designed and implemented a Linux/MySQL database,
with an MS-Access/MyODBC admin application, Excel-VBA/MyODBC up and
downloading facilities, and a scheduled Linux process for replicating updates up to a web-linked MySQL database.
| Paradox (1991 - 1999) || |
- Wrote my own accounting and invoicing system, using Paradox.
- Wrote a customer & invoice database for a car repair business.
- Wrote a custom accounting and invoicing system for a construction
- Converted a DND repair shop inventory from Word-Perfect format to
a Paradox database.
| Clarion || |
- 1995: Supervised two student programmers in the maintenance and
enhancement, over a period of two months, of three production Clarion
databases: a BC Court Registry system, a newspaper distribution
system and a carpet inventory system.
| dBase IV || |
- 1991-1992: Designed and implemented a database for Highway pavement testing
data. This involved use of the Applications Generator, Forms
design, writing in excess of 80 modules of Dbase IV code,
exporting data for graphical display etc.
| Data Modelling || |
- 1987: performed data modelling as part of two Requirements Analysis
contracts for the B.C. Ministry of Transportation:
Classified Traffic Data System , and
Photolog Data System.
- 1987: performed data modelling for the Data Archive DataBase for the
Institute of Ocean Sciences, in preparation for an Oracle
implementation. This is a relational database with 12